Monday, December 29, 2008

Beta #2 = 656

I realize now what an overachiever I strive to be.

Beta #2 was done 72 hours after the first because of the weekend. My numbers went from 324 on Friday to 656 today. That is a 48 hour doubling rate of 60% which just cuts the mustard. I don't like just cutting it. I like to surpass. I need to remember I'm dealing with my reproductive system which has never been stellar to begin with. I should be happy with just getting by. My clinic said my numbers were good and to call tomorrow to schedule an ultrasound. They said "Congratulations." They sound pleased so I should be too. I am glad there are no more betas scheduled until then (I hope).

I wanted to put that fun little HCG chart from babymed on here, but I cannot figure out how to cut and paste just the chart. I am still kind of new at this blogging stuff. . .

I was commenting on PJ's blog that infertiles get too much information after they become pregnant. Most of my fertile friends just pee on a stick and go in for an ultrasound 8-10 weeks later. They probably don't even know what betas are and could care less about doubling times. We, however, get to jump hurdle after hurdle and hope we clear each one. STRESS! Who needs it? I don't.

I'm happy. Today could have easily gone the other way. They say the ultrasound is a bigger indicator of a successful pregnancy than beta numbers anyway. I'll save my worry for then.

As I said before, I am going to try my best to enjoy this pregnancy. I am going to try my best not to worry. I am going to try my best not to fixate. I am going to try my best not to obsess. I am going to keep telling myself this until it sinks in.

8 comments:

Paula Keller said...

First, that is a good rise!

I'm really sorry if my stress over betas has transferred to you in any way. I think I'm only obsessing so much because I had a chemical/miscarriage in October and am scared to death of having another one. Plus, when last Wednesday's beta only rose 36 percent, I panicked. Plus, I think I've just read sooo much over the past year on blogs and such, and know all too well what can go wrong.

But you're right, I do really envy people in the fertile world who can blissfully enjoy their pregnancy from the getgo, without fretting over betas. And... can get pregnant without massive medical intervention!!! :P

ahem...
Yay! We're pregnant!

That said, I had to save the HCG chart to my pictures folder and then upload it.

Emily said...

Sounds like a nice number to me! I am thinking of you and wishing you some peace and time to enjoy this!

G said...

656 what a nice looking number!!!

I understand your stressing. Every time I've had a positive pregnant test, I demand the doctor tell me the number. And sometimes he refuses!! I figure, hey, it's my number, I have the right to know!

Do you think that being a school teacher makes you strive for better "grades"? :)

Seems like you're doing not a bad job of keeping the worrying under control, so well done there!!! Wishing you all the very best for your ultrasound *hugs*

Lost in Space said...

I wish I knew how to make this part easier for you. I can imagine it is hard to just go with the flow. We are in the mode of needing so much information from our IVF cycles - follicle sizes, med dosages, etc. We question and analyze everything so hard.

I think your number looks great, but I can imagine it is still so very hard to not worry. Many hugs.

Petrucia said...

I love your commitment to not obsessing and fixating. You are right, all this information may not be helpful to our state of minds and may not make that much of a difference in the end of things. I hope you find some peace and calm and enjoyment of this miracle that's happening in your body.

Jill said...

Congrats on a great second beta! I understand the stress, but just try taking things one day at a time. Good luck!

Just Me. said...

Your numbers look great. I can relate to the stress you're going. I was worried too and the worries go on.. when you have your first scan and the next and the next..But you learn to cope with it your own way. That's what I learnt and am still learning so far.

Good luck and congrats!

Angelwingsbaby said...

Congrats just found your blog,God bless!