Sunday, December 14, 2008

Transfer Complete

My day started off with a minor panic attack. I was sorting through my several pill bottles, trying to lay out my numerous medications (estradiol, medrol, asprin, prenatal vitamin, high blood pressure pill- Did I mention I am a 32 year old with high blood pressure? I'm sure that will make for an easy pregnancy someday). Well, I realized that I had been taking DOUBLE the dose of estrogen (2 pills instead of 1). What an idiot! I never mess up things like this. I was afraid my lining would be too thick and they'd have to cancel the transfer. It was the first thing I confessed the nurse when I saw her. She didn't think it was a big deal and said to just go back to my regular dose today. Thank God for the valium! It was exactly what I needed.

The transfer was easy. The only hard part was my very full bladder. The nurse scanned me and told me I could go relieve myself for 10 seconds. That helped for about two minutes and then it filled right back up. Really, I have the badder the size of a pea.

We have pictures of both embryos. The ratings changed because they are now Day 2. From what I've researched everyone uses a different grading system depending on the clinic and the day of embryo development. There is no real rhyme or reason. I personally think they should all jump on the same bandwagon.

Anyway, they are graded on a 1-5 scale with a one being the best quality and a five being the worst. We have a 2-cell grade one (actually make that a 3-cell, it divided right before transfer) and a 6 cell grade three (this one had some fragmentation). So it sounds like one good and one fair. I am so glad they are in me now and I don't have to analyze them anymore.

I have been taking it easy at home today. My parents came over and had lunch with DH and me. That was a nice distraction. I love to relax, but I am going stir crazy. I have pretty much been stuck in my house since Friday after retrieval. It has been a whirlwind weekend and I am happy the majority of the craziness is behind me.

I have read so many things about bedrest. Some do it strictly, some just take it easy, some go back to their normal daily activities. I've decided to play it somewhere in the middle. I literally laid around the first half of the day and now I've switched to sitting up in front of the computer. Tomorrow I am not going into work, but only because I am a teacher and on my feet all day keeping up with 6 year olds. I cannot bring myself to lay flat on my back. It just seems unnecessary. (In fact, Dr. G. told me the woman who came in for a transfer right before me was going to watch The Nutcracker today.) I watched the embryos go deep into my lining. My clinic has reiterated over and over that they will NOT fall out.

I sure hope so. . . (TMI WARNING- TURN YOUR HEAD IF NEEDED). Around noon today I went pee and something about the size of a pea plopped into the toilet. I am pretty sure it was discolored cervical fluid from the procedure and all the estrogen, but just the same I tried not to worry. I am pretty sure I'd have to shed a significant portion of my lining for them to fall out. Right?

I know the 2WW is going to be hell, but it hasn't happened yet. I'm sure my obsessive nature will take over and I'll be a basket case soon enough. Right now it feels completely unreal that this could ever turn into a pregnancy. It feels impossible. Not because I'm being Negative Nelly, but because it is beyond my grasp at the moment.

On Tuesday I plan to get off bedrest and on with my life, enjoy the holidays and relish in the fact I've come this far.

It's all I can do.


Anonymous said...

LOL...that was not your embryo that you heard drop. After my transfer, as I walked to the car I came to the realization, that I was pregnant. What I didn't know, and still don't know is how long this feeling will last, but it was the best feeling in the world!!!I past that feeling on to you.

Emily said...

Thinking of you and the embies and hoping they are snuggling in for a long winter's nap.

They did not fall out ;)! Could've been t.p. or even some cervial mucus.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the transfer... sounds like it went very smooth. As far as bedrest goes, I was laying in bed in a slightly inclined position so I can comfortably watch the tv for the first day. The second day onwards, I took it a little easy and stayed at home and from the third day onwards, I got on with my life.
Wishing you all the best and hoping that the embies are burrowing in into your lining right now! GL!

Clio said...

I really liked this post. i can so relate to so many of your feelings. That the embryos are where they belong so they are not being analyzed anymore, that it's difficult to grasp that at this moment we are pregnant... for me too the 2ww madness hasn't started.

PJ said...

As much as I hate bed rest, I cannot, CANNOT imagine going back to work that day, or even the next day! Just the stress of it all would be bad!

But then the nice thing about work is that you're distracted. REALLY distracted!

I think I gave myself too much progesterone today! :P It happens.

I don't know about you, but I am extremely glad that we get out of school on Friday, and that whether it's a BFP or a BFN, I'll have a few weeks to let it absorb before coming back to work.

Jill said...

They did not fall out, but I understand how scary everything seems in this crazy time. Wishing you lots of luck with your embabies!!

Lost in Space said...

I'm so glad the transfer went well and your embies are right where they belong now! I hope you are hanging in there and finding something to occupy your time during this 2ww. We're here to distract you as needed. (-; Lots of good thoughts coming your way!!

Clio said...

i'm sorry to hear that your students were so unruly!
it actually happens anytime close to solstice points (june 21, dec 21) that's why the tension around the holidays is enhanced and everybody is just all over the place. ;) better luck with them the following days