Sunday, December 7, 2008

Fab Five?. . . Triple Threat?. . .Terrific Two?

I'm confused.

IVF #2 is not going very well.

Today's check revealed these results:

Left (lazy) Ovary: 16
Right (really trying) Ovary: 15, 12, 9, 9
E2: 590

It looks like only two or three are really in the running at this point. One came out of nowhere today. That was interesting. If they would just all grow AT THE SAME TIME I would not be as concerned. It seems like every time I go in for a stim check, my chances dwindle. I'm worried what tomorrow will bring. It looks like (for the time being) we have avoided a dominant follicle, but, hey, with me anything can happen.

I have decided to treat this cycle as a very expensive experiment. Unless something drastic happens, DH and I plan to go to retrieval with whatever we have to work with. I need to find some things out about the quality of my eggs: Are they mature? Can they fertilize? If this had been my first attempt, I'm sure Dr. G would have encouraged me to cancel and try again hoping for better results next time. He admitted that I had a poor response, but this is probably the best I can do. I somewhat agree with him. I will not throw in the towel if this doesn't work, but I do believe that we shouldn't let this chance pass by.

I'm disappointed, but it's not over til it's over and I am not a quitter. I am, however, a realist. I know the odds are stacked against us. I am still going to give it all I've got. I just hope and pray it is enough.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Yikes! I am sorry this is happening. I love your attitude though. I hope it all works out in the end!

Paula Keller said...

That post could have been me, last July. 1st try was in April and we had three dominent follicles - and they converted us to IUI. 2nd try in July I had two dominent follicles, again converted to IUI. I thought we'd never get to retrieval. It was really hard. But like I said, I think they have tweaked the protocol enough now that something's working. Definitely the birth control was suppressing me too much, and so we did an estrogen priming/Antagonist protocol these past two times. They also upped my doses to the maximum. We had varied quality of embryos.

I hope, hope, hope things turn around for you!!!

That said, the follicles DO sometimes come out of nowhere. Maybe those 9's will get on board overnight?

Thinking of you...

Anonymous said...

I am sorry that the follies are not growing at the same time. But you have right attitude. I love that abt you. :)

Grow follies grow!! Thinking of you...